2019 report outlines progress in the key initiatives on its journey to make the day work for generations to come
Switzerland, January 21, 2020: Selecta Group, the leading route-based unattended self-service retailer in Europe, has published its second annual Sustainability Report which outlines 2019’s key achievements and the progress made against the company’s commitments.
Selecta’s sustainability strategy is built on the following four pillars:
1. Respecting the environment
- Selecta is committed to minimizing the environmental impact of its operations by reducing its carbon footprint and contributing to a circular economy. The company strives to make optimal use of its fleet, provide energy-efficient vending solutions, and optimize its waste streams including plastics, disposables and coffee grounds.
- The use of telemetry has made the company’s route-planning even more efficient. Selecta operates 94’000 machines equipped with telemetry. to remotely monitor the machine’s condition and stock, improving service levels to clients. Furthermore, telemetry enables the company to plan its routes dynamically and help reduce unnecessary kilometres travelled.
- To make optimal use of coffee waste, the company is collaborating in Netherlands with an urban farming initiative that uses spent coffee grounds as soil for growing oyster mushrooms turning them into delicious snacks for local restaurants. In Italy, used coffee grounds are collected from clients and used as a source of renewable energy.
2. Offering responsible products
- Selecta is committed to sourcing its raw materials and products responsibly and to stimulating healthier choices through innovative concepts. The company offers a wide range of certified sustainable products and a variety of healthy food and drinks.
- In 2019 the company roasted approximately 15,000 tonnes of coffee of which 52% is certified by Fairtrade, UTZ or Rainforest Alliance.
- During the year Selecta increased the production of certified coffee by 1,716 tonnes, equalling 190 million extra cups of sustainable coffee.
- In the area of responsible sourcing, Selecta renewed its Supplier Code of Conduct and aims to further improve its sustainable sourcing approach, working closely with various suppliers.
3. Supporting the community
- Selecta is committed to positively impact the countries and communities in which it operates. The company invests in supply chain initiatives in the countries where it sources raw materials and it engages in the European communities it is active.
- Through the Selecta Coffee Fund, Selecta contributed to improving the livelihoods of small coffee farmers and their families in Rwanda.
- In 2019 the Company provided 42 households with a cow each, giving them a valuable source of protein, additional household income, and fertilizer to increase their coffee yields.
- Selecta also supported the construction of a kindergarten in the country, providing meals and education to 168 children.
4. Providing an enjoyable workplace
- Selecta is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable workplace for its employees. The company believes in its people and their ability to grow, offering training and development opportunities to all staff.
- Selecta employs more than 10,000 people across 16 Selecta countries, and the large majority of its employees (89%) have a fixed contract and work on a full-time basis (91%).
- In 2019, Selecta embarked on its Employee Engagement Programme with an employee survey and is implementing various actions across its operations.
- Furthermore, the company is committed to conducting business with the highest standard of ethics and integrity.
David Flochel, Chief Executive Officer, commented: “We’re delighted with the initiatives we carried out in the last year and the demonstrable progress we’ve achieved against all our commitments.
“Because we serve more than ten million consumers each day, we understand our broader responsibility on the communities we engage with and to minimise our environmental impact. Over the coming year, we have even more ambition to scale-up our activities and we look forward to collaborating further with our customers, consumers and stakeholders on our journey to ‘make the day work’ for generations to come.”
You can access Selecta’s new sustainability report here:
About Selecta Group
Headquartered in Switzerland since 1957, Selecta is Europe’s leading route-based unattended self-service provider, offering coffee and convenience food solutions in the workplace and in public spaces. With over 10,000 employees and 475,000 points of sale spanning 16 countries across Europe, Selecta serves more than 10 million consumers a day on average. The excellence of Selecta’s route-based operations has been recognised with multiple industry awards.
For more information, please visit www.selecta.com