DEERFIELD, Ill., Aug. 21, 2018 -- Mondelēz International reported important progress against its 2020 impact goals in its 2017 Impact For Growth Progress Report released. The report details progress against sustainable agriculture and environmental footprint goals, as well as global expansion of healthy lifestyle and nutrition programs in at risk communities. The report also illustrates how the company’s impact programs align with and support the United Nations 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs).
“Having a positive impact on our planet and the communities we do business in is core to who we are as a company,” said Dirk Van de Put, Chairman and CEO, Mondelez International. “Today, we’re producing snacks more sustainably, with less energy, water and waste; and sourcing our key ingredients in ways that reduce deforestation in our supply chain. We’re empowering farmers and investing in community programs that help improve the well-being of children and their families.”
Mondelēz International’s Impact For Growth platform builds on our legacy of delivering positive impact in four key areas: sustainability, well-being snacks, safety and community. Following are highlights of the company’s 2017 progress:
- Reduced absolute CO2 emissions from manufacturing by 10 percent.
- Reduced water use by 25 percent at locations where water is most scarce.
- Eliminated 53,500 metric tonnes of packaging – achieving 80% of our 2020 goal.
- Increased the impact of Cocoa Life, the company’s sustainable cocoa sourcing program, reaching 120,500 farmers (up 31 percent vs. 2016) in 1,085 communities (up 26 percent)
- Promoted environmentally sustainable practices in wheat production across Europe through its Harmony sustainable wheat program, achieving a 20 percent reduction in pesticide use
- Expanded the company’s Harmony sustainable wheat commitment to now source 100 percent of its wheat need in the EU by 2022
- Maintained 100 percent RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil) palm oil goal; with 96 percent of its palm oil traceable back to the mill
- Achieved 15 percent of global eggs sourced were cage-free; on target to use 100 percent cage-free eggs in the U.S. and Canada by 2020 and in the rest of the world by 2025
- Grew well-being brands at twice the rate of the base portfolio
- Delivered 12.8 percent of revenue from portion control snacks – individually wrapped and 200 calories or less; and on target to achieve 2020 goal of 15 percent
- Reduced sodium by 1.4 percent across total snack portfolio and 2 percent in Oreo globally; reduced saturated fat in Barni soft cakes by 13 percent and in Ritz and TUC crackers by 2 and 3 percent respectively; and reduced sugar by 1 percent across global belVita and by 5 percent in Green & Black’s chocolates
- Doubled the amount of whole grain in Club Social crackers in Latin America
- Reduced Total Recordable Incidents by 33 percent and Total Incident Rate by 27 percent for all employees
- Certified 91 percent of external manufacturers and 98 percent of suppliers against the Foundation for Food Safety Certification 22000, a well-respected Global Food Safety Initiative system
- Allocated more than $45 million to healthy lifestyle community partnerships, impacting the lives of 1.5 million children across 18 countries by increasing their nutrition knowledge, providing opportunities for physical activity and access to fresh fruits and vegetables
To read an at-a-glance summary, please visit https://bit.ly/2Lcqh9R. For the full report, please visit https://bit.ly/2PmUlD3. And for an infographic detailing progress, please visit https://bit.ly/2vZZJUN.
About Mondelēz International
Mondelēz International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MDLZ) is building the best snacking company in the world, with 2017 net revenues of approximately $26 billion. Creating more moments of joy in approximately 160 countries, Mondelēz International is a world leader in biscuits, chocolate, gum, candy and powdered beverages, featuring global Power Brands such as Oreo and belVita biscuits; Cadbury Dairy Milk and Milka chocolate; and Trident gum. Mondelēz International is a proud member of the Standard and Poor’s 500, Nasdaq 100 and Dow Jones Sustainability Index. Visit www.mondelezinternational.com or follow the company on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MDLZ.