OAKLAND, Calif., June 12, 2018 -- For the third year in a row, Numi Organic Tea, a leading premium tea brand, has earned a place on the 2018 Best for the World list, a distinction awarded to certified B Corporations with outstanding positive impact scores in the top 10% of the more than 2,400 Certified B Corporations. Numi, a founding B Corporation since 2007, is honored in the Best for Environment list, featuring companies creating the most positive environmental impact as determined with an independent, comprehensive assessment administered by the nonprofit B Lab. Honorees scoring in the top 10 percent set a gold standard for the high impact that business as a force for good can make on the global environment.
“Numi has been creating positive impact through our business since day one--long before socially conscious business practices hit the mainstream--and we’re committed to sharing our knowledge with our broader community and neighbors in the natural products space,” said Ahmed Rahim, CEO and Co-Founder of Numi Organic Tea. “There is no competition when it comes to saving the planet. We hope that this award allows us to raise awareness and inspire others to join us on our quest to serve people and planet through our love of pure, organic tea.”
Jay Coen Gilbert, co-founder of B Lab says that “[the] Best For The World is the only list of businesses that uses comprehensive, comparable, third-party-validated data about a company’s social and environmental performance. As consumers, talent and investors increasingly demand transparent, values-aligned businesses to buy from, work at and invest in, companies will need not just the best in the world but the best for the world.”
Numi’s standout initiatives associated with positive impact include:
- The company sources 100% organic ingredients, and ensures farmers make a fair wage via Fair Trade.
- All Numi products are designed to create a minimal impact on the planet, utilizing 90% post-consumer waste recycled cardboard for tea boxes, soy-based inks, unbleached compostable tea bags never made from GMO corn, with no shrink wrap for tea boxes or pallets.
- Numi offsets all scope one and two greenhouse gas emissions. Since 2011, they have worked with Carbonfund.org to offset nearly 6 million pounds of CO2 equivalent through renewable energy projects in India and China.
- As of 2018, Numi Organic Tea is a Public Benefit Corporation, a legal status of incorporation that describes the type of corporate entity that exist to both make a profit and serve a greater societal purpose.
- With their Numi Foundation, founders Ahmed Rahim and Reem Rahim Hassani launched 501(c) 3 non-profit which aims to nurture and empower thriving communities. The foundation administers Together for H2OPE, a program designed to combat the global water crisis. Since 2013, Together for H2OPE has helped bring clean water to 10,500 tea farmers across Madagascar and India with plans for expansion across Numi tea farms worldwide.
NUMI ORGANIC TEA
Founded in 1999 by brother and sister team Ahmed Rahim (the alchemist) and Reem Rahim (the artist), Numi Organic Tea is a purveyor of premium quality organic, non-GMO and Fair Trade Certified TM teas and herbal teasans. Numi blends its organic full leaf teas with only real herbs, fruits, flowers, and spices—not unnecessary “natural” flavorings or perfumes. All Numi products are packaged in recycled-content containers and non-GMO tea bags and are available in retail outlets in more than 55 countries worldwide and online at NumiTea.com. An award- winning social enterprise and founding B Corporation member, Numi supports community development projects worldwide. To learn more, visit NumiTea.com and follow Numi at Instagram.com/NumiOrganicTea, Facebook.com/NumiTea, Pinterest.com/NumiTea and Twitter.com/NumiTea.