USA Technologies reported a 13% revenue increase over Q4 2020 and a 15% decrease year over year.
MALVERN, Pa.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 5, 2020-- USA Technologies, Inc. (OTC:USAT) (“USAT” or the “Company”), a cashless payments and software services company that provides end-to-end technology solutions for the self-service retail market, today reported results for the fiscal year 2021 first quarter.
“We delivered a quarter with solid sequential revenue growth, and in line with our expectations,” said Sean Feeney, chief executive officer, USA Technologies. “We continue to execute on the initiatives I outlined last quarter and remain focused on growth, operational execution and delivering for our customers. As the demand for contactless payment solutions grows, we are seeing demand in the market for an end-to-end solution that can help vending operators get through these challenging economic times. We are well positioned to capitalize on these trends and during the first quarter, we won significant deals against our competition, selling across all product lines, as customers leverage our Platform as a Service.”
- Revenue of $36.9 million, an increase of 13.0% versus fourth quarter 2020, and a decrease of 15.0% year over year
- License and transaction fee revenue of $33.1 million, a decrease of 4.3% year-over-year and an increase of 18.9% versus fourth quarter 2020
- Equipment revenue of $3.8 million, a decrease of 21.5% over fourth quarter 2020 and decrease of 56.9% year over year
- Net new connections of approximately 15,000 bring total connections to approximately 1,335,000
- Gross margin of 38.6% compared with 26.3% in the prior year period
- Operating loss of $(3.6) million compared to operating loss of $(11.3) million in the prior year period
- Net loss applicable to common shares of $(6.9) million, or $(0.11) per basic share compared to net loss applicable to common shares of $(11.8) million, or $(0.20) per basic share in the prior year period
- Adjusted EBITDA of $(0.5) million compared to $(4.9) million in the prior year period
- Ended the quarter with $34.7 million in cash and cash equivalents
“While our revenue decreased year over year, mostly due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we experienced solid sequential growth trends during the quarter. Our overall revenue was up over the fourth quarter of 2020, mostly driven by the increase in license fees. We are also pleased to have generated a $5.0 million increase in operating cash flow in the current quarter over the prior year quarter,” said Wayne Jackson, chief financial officer, USA Technologies.
The full release may be viewed here.