The Hain Celestial Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: HAIN) ("Hain Celestial" or the "Company"), a leading organic and natural products company with operations in North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East providing consumers with A Healthier Way of Life™, today reported financial results for the first quarter ended September 30, 2018. The results contained herein are presented with the Hain Pure Protein operating segment being treated as a discontinued operation given the Company's previously announced decision to divest the business.
"We have an incredible opportunity at Hain Celestial to accelerate the mission and purpose envisioned 25 years ago, as we further build consumer awareness and access to our organic, natural and better-for-you brands," said Mark L. Schiller, President and Chief Executive Officer of Hain Celestial. "Initially, I will be focused on, the improvement of our operational and financial results, particularly in the United States. Looking ahead, I am eager to work with our entire team to further integrate our global operations to achieve sustainable sales growth and cost-savings synergies and deliver long-term value for our stockholders."
Summary of First Quarter Results from Continuing Operations2
- Net sales decreased 5% to $560.8 million compared to the prior year period, or a 4% decrease on a constant currency basis. When adjusted for Foreign Exchange and Acquisitions, Divestitures and certain other items, including the 2017 and 2018 Project Terra Stock Keeping Unit ("SKU") rationalization3, net sales would have decreased 2% compared to the prior year period.
- Gross margin of 17.8%, a 320 basis point decrease over the prior year period; adjusted gross margin of 19.0%, a 250 basis point decrease over the prior year period as a result of planned higher trade and promotional investments in the United States and increased freight and commodity costs.
- Operating loss of $24.1 million compared to operating income of $29.2 million in the prior year period; adjusted operating income of $20.9 million compared to $36.1 million in the prior year period.
- Net loss of $23.1 million compared to net income of $18.6 million in the prior year period; adjusted net income of $9.7 million compared to $21.4 million in prior year period.
- EBITDA loss of $5.9 million compared to EBITDA of $46.6 million in the prior year period; Adjusted EBITDA of $34.1 million compared to $53.5 million in the prior year period.
- Earnings loss per diluted share ("EPS") of $0.22 compared to EPS of $0.18 in the prior year period; Adjusted EPS of $0.09 compared to $0.20 in the prior year period
SEGMENT HIGHLIGHTS FROM CONTINUING OPERATIONS
Hain Celestial United States
Hain Celestial United States net sales in the first quarter decreased 8% over the prior year period to $244.0 million; when adjusted for Acquisitions, Divestitures and certain other items including the 2017 and 2018 Project Terra SKU rationalization3, net sales would have decreased 4%. The decline in the United States segment was primarily driven by declines in the Pantry and Better-For-You Snacks platforms, partially offset by an increase in the Pure Personal Care platform. The Pure Personal Care Platform's strong growth for the first quarter was offset, in part, by production challenges within the quarter. United States net sales also were impacted by the previously disclosed strategic decision to no longer support certain lower margin SKUs and focus on the Top 500 SKUs in order to reduce complexity and increase gross margin over time. Segment operating income in the first quarter was $2.2 million, a 90% decrease from the prior year period, and adjusted operating income was $7.7 million, a 67% decrease over the prior year period, driven primarily by higher planned trade investments to drive future period growth and increased freight and logistics costs.