Teenage Girl Dies After Drinking Two Cans Of Energy Drink

A 14-year-old Maryland girl died after drinking two 24-ounce energy drinks on one December day, while hanging out with her friends at the mall, according to MSNBC. For the full story, click here

Editor’s Insight: Energy drinks are one of the fastest growing beverage refreshments, yet the beverage and refreshment services industries have done nothing to advise consumers about the health risks associated with energy drinks. This is a serious oversight. The government does not regulate the amount of caffeine in energy drinks since energy drinks are not considered food, but dietary supplements.

For the record, Monster energy drinks has denied that consuming two cans could have caused this death. According to this news report, the American Beverage Association supports voluntary ingredient disclosure.

Vending and refreshment service operators should watch this NBC news segment. It’s hard to believe the government won’t be pressured to require some kind of health warning.

How long will it take beverage and refreshment service organizations to address this serious health issue? 03-26-12 By Elliot Maras

 

 

 

Loading