Solo Cup Co. is celebrating 75 years of innovative product developments and foodservice solutions this year. Widely recognized as an industry leader in single-use foodservice products, Solo Cup Co. has brought creative solutions to market, from its humble beginnings to its current status as a $1.6 billion international company, headquartered and making products in America.
“Reaching 75 years of success is a major milestone for any company and this is the perfect opportunity to honor the achievements that have built Solo into an industry leader,” said Robert M. Korzenski, president and CEO, in a prepared statement. “Solo’s reputation for providing thoughtful solutions to tough challenges stems from the creativity and dedication of employees and customers who push for better alternatives in materials, product benefits, and sustainability.”
Solo traces its beginnings to Chicago’s south side in 1936, when Leo Hulseman created the “Solo Cup,” a simple, conical paper drinking cup designed with improved sanitation and convenience in mind. Today, most Solo products are still made in the U.S. and have become iconic symbols in American culture. Solo innovations have enriched meal occasions and simplified life with single-use products for both homes and businesses, including:
- Wax cold cups, known to every drive-in movie attendee since the 1950s and still in use throughout foodservice today.
- The unique interlocking Cozy® Cup and reusable holder from the 1960s, which revolutionized coffee consumption – and refills.
- The best-selling Solo red party cups, which have been making appearances at family barbecues, tailgates and picnics since the 1970s. Solo Squared® took the concept even further in the 2000s, with an ergonomic shape that adds style and grip.
- Traveler® lids, introduced in the 1980s and now found in coffee shops and convenience stores around the world, brought a design so innovative it’s now in the permanent collection at the Museum of Modern Art.
- Bare® by Solo®, the industry’s first full line of eco-forward® single-use products for restaurants and consumers made using recycled, recyclable, compostable or renewable materials , brought to market in the 2000s.
Headquartered in Lake Forest, Ill., Solo has operations in Europe and across North and Central America. As Solo looks ahead, it strives to be the single-use products industry leader, with new solutions that meet customer and industry needs, and sustainability practices across all of its operations.
For more information on the company’s history, product offerings for consumers and foodservice operators, and sustainability programs, visit http://solocup.com/corporatefinancial-news/anniversary-media-materials .